General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Captainbeaky
    Fri May 29, 2015 6:00 pm

Hi, I'm not sure if there is anyone here from Portugal ( preferably Madeira), but this could well test the forum to its limits!

I'm thinking of emigrating from the UK to Madeira, and as I am going through the workshop kit I'd like to take, I find myself looking at my gas cylinders, wondering how much the gas is over there, and how readily available it is...

Anyone know what the price and availability of CO2 and Argon in Madeira (Portugal)?

Thanks in advance.

Mike.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I'll admit I like the idea...

"Screw you all; I'm moving to Portugal..." 8-)

I think we have a few members here from that area, but they're not active. Perhaps they'll read your post and respond.

Have you done a google search for welding suppliers in Madeira? You might have to make old-school phone calls, but I'm sure you can find the information.

Steve S
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

Can't imagine there being a problem with getting gas there in some form. May need to jump some hoops with setting up a small ('on paper') company to be able to get it though.

However.. Your UK gas bottles may have a different style connection than the portugese ones, so to make use of any locally obtained gas bottles (either bought or on exchange basis) you may need to get some new regulators that fit the style of valve/connection that's on the (exchange) bottles in Portugal.

Taking your UK bottles with you is probably not very useful as nobody may e able to refill them in portugal if the connection is different and also the system may work differently with bottles not being 'owned' but you getting them on an exchange basis where you return an empty one and get a new/filled one at a shop.

Perhaps we have a portugese member who can chime in on these issues.

Bye, Arno.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Might try calling for tech support from one of the big suppliers like Boc gas there world wide.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

Maybe contact these guys.

http://www.airliquide.pt/pt/linha-directa.html +351 21 416 4900
Captainbeaky
    Fri May 29, 2015 6:00 pm

Otto hit the nail squarely on the head...

I'm out here now researching ( also it's classic car week - a nice diversion)
It's peaceful, with lovely weather, nice people, and the house we have found is stunning ( complete with massive workshop!)

I've found the main welding supplies place, and we will be visiting there today.

Lots of questions......

Mike.