General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Timmontoya88
    Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:22 am

Evening,

The reason I'm trying to weld on black steel is to fix a propane burner on to a Green Chile roaster. My plan is to cradle it on a piece of angle iron and weld in place on the tee's because that would be the only point of contact and also weld a piece of tube around the orifice so that air can be drawn from behind the orifice too. Judging by the name it sounds like it has a high carbon content.

I know I could use U-bolts, but I think that might look "tacky" being that this project is not for me.
Attachments
20160403_231757.jpg
20160403_231757.jpg (32.88 KiB) Viewed 849 times
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

The "black" part of the name is a description of the surface cover only, not metallurgical or anything. The black is paint (or something) to prevent rust. Clean down to shiny bare metal before welding and you should be good to go.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

If those are threaded tees then I would recommend not welding them. If you want to weld it get some socket weld fittings. There designed for this and will give you a better result.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

It is regular mild steel but has some kind of coating plus a layer of varnish or lacquer on it. That coating must be removed or you will have a nightmare trying to weld it. It doesn't sound like you are welding the tees and pipes togther, only tacking the tees to an angle cradle so you should be ok. It welds fine with the coating stripped off.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Timmontoya88

Thanks for the input,

After the "yes", "no's" even outside of this forum. I'm going to play it safe and fix it with U-Bolts.

For the next roasters I'll make manifolds and thread it for the all the brass fittings.
Timmontoya88

I looked into the socket weld fittings and found the right one.
Attachments
20160408_211713.jpg
20160408_211713.jpg (26.69 KiB) Viewed 697 times
Poland308

That looks better. Another good option if your going to weld it is any of the forged steel fittings. You can get a half coupling that will save you just a little space over thread-olets.

Josh
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

It sounds as if you want a method of attachment as well?

There are several pipe standoff's on the market that would look very professional - or copy/modify a style that works better for you.
image.jpg
image.jpg (40.15 KiB) Viewed 651 times
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Poland308

Dave is spot on! It may cost a bit more for the right fittings and supports but it makes things look professional. There's always a place for down, dirty, and quick.

Josh