General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Greg From K/W
    Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:55 pm

Me I am from K/W. Or Kitchener Waterloo, Ontario Canada. It is one hour south east of Toronto along the 401. To give you an Idea. Where are you guys from?
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

Detroit, across the river from Windsor ON. My grandfather is from Tilsonburg, about a half hour east of London.
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi there,

Bendigo, Thats about 1 1/2 hours north west of Melbourne which is the Capital city of the state of Victoria. Australia.

Mick
fairmont1998
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:43 am

Adelaide, South Australia's capital city. Australia.
Cigweld 175i enthusiast.
    Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:30 am

Vista and Encinitas = San Diego north county
Last edited by cornmuse on Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Look! a hole in the space-time continuum!
Greg From K/W

delraydella wrote:Detroit, across the river from Windsor ON. My grandfather is from Tilsonburg, about a half hour east of London.
A lot of my Family is from the Windsor area. Chatham. Love going to Mexican town when we go down there. El Pocotel is the best Mexican food around IMHO.
pro mod steve
    Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:47 am

pearland texas 30 north of galveston.
delraydella

One thing we have in Detroit is good mexican food. On any given night, more than half of the cars in the Mexicantown parking lots have Ontario plates, especially when the Red Wings are playing. I can't think of any mexican food places in Windsor, except for Taco Bell.

Never been to El Pocotel, though. I'll have to try them out.
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
Greg From K/W

Their Chicken Fajitas with cheese are incredible. They ruined me for fajitas though. I won't order any fajitas from anywhere else now. The mexican sandwich is also a hit.
    Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:46 pm

Retired Boilermaker from the Philadelphia, PA area.
Best Cheese Steaks (and Welders) in the country!
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Southern Louisiana, USA. Near Covington, about 40 minutes north of New Orleans.

Can't wait to get home and boil a sack of crawfish!

Steve

Hi there,

Did you cop it from that hurricane a few years back?

Mick
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Mick, I'm a recent transplant to Louisiana. My wife is from the area, but we lived in the middle of the U.S. for many years. We were not there during hurricane Katrina, thank God. Now, five years later, there are still areas that look like they were bombed in war. Our dear friends, who offered me the space my camper sits upon, were in their living room in their trailer-house watching the weather on TV when the storm blew down a tree. It was a 150+ year old pine. It split their bedroom in half, and literally folded their bed in half. Had they been there, they would not be with us now.

When I'm not on the road working, I spend a little time each day helping to clean up the damage. I've been at it for three years.

Steve
Ultralow787
    Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:30 pm

I'm from Mono, Ontario, Canada. About 1 hour Northwest of Toronto and 1 hour and 20 minutes from Greg!
It's interesting to read where everyone is from! I have been to most of the places such as Galveston, New Orleans, Detroit, & close to Philadelphia! Australia is definitely on my Bucket List!
Perfection is impossible, but if you strive for perfection, excellence is obtainable!

1983 Canox "Sparkler" 225 AC Stick Welder
Hobart 210 MVP MIG Welder
Harris "Spitfire" Oxy-Acetylene Set
xalky
    Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:19 pm

I'm from central Connecticut...That's in the USA for you guys that aint from here. I've been MIG welding since the mid 1980s but just recently bought a TIG/Plasma machine. I was in awe when I cut my first piece of steel with the plasma. Unfortunately my TIG skills need a lot of work but I'll get the hang of it. I was able to run a decent bead last night on some mild steel after screwing around and burning up Tungsten for about an hour before getting some settings dialed in. I need scrap, and lots of it, to get some practice in. :oops:
Lincoln IDEALARC DC250 mig setup with Lincoln LN7 wirefeeder and Tweco gun.
Oxyacetylene torch setup
Longevity 256pi Inverter Stick/tig/plasma Rig

Hey there,

If you go to a fab shop that has a guillotine, they might let you scrounge around for some off cuts from behind it. Unless they're tight.

Mick
delraydella

scrap is too valuable over here to just give away. They'll be happy to sell you the drops at a higher cost per pound than the scrap yard, otherwise they would be flooded with scrappers looking to make a quick buck.

Hey there,

I didn't think of it that way. Gotta protect your bottom line, don't ya. And protect ya self from scrappers (locusts) LOL

Mick
opiesvtx
    Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:22 pm

Minneapolis Minnesota.
powrguy
    Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:21 pm

Northeast Ohio (Strongsville)
Raider
    Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:10 am

Morning Welder's

I'm from Durand Michigan thats in mid-michigan USA , (about 1 1/2 hrs nw from Detroit, but I still work down there)

The Mexican food is great down in mexican town when we get the chance to get down there. Have you ever tried "Little Armando's" ???? And I too have a lot of family from Canada (My Dad was from north of winnipeg, Manitoba and still have family in most provinces) My Dad started me stick welding when I was 11. I'm now 55 and it has been a Great Career and still is!!!!

I've worked over the years at Railcar repair, Shop Fab, pipeline (Out of local 190) machine building/tool and die and now as a maint welder.

I do a lot of fab work at my current job, but also Pipe (Live steam) and tool and die, also a lot of machine repair welding (I'm certified 6-G pipe and weld School trained).

Hey "Mick" I almost made it down your way in 1975 when I was in the Marines, but we were turned around to evac Saigon when south Vietnam fell. But still hope to make it down there one day.

Hi there,

Hope you can make it down for a holiday in peace time eh? Although the exchange rate kind of sucks at the moment.

Other Mick
delraydella

Raider,

I've been to Armandos many, many times. They have some of the freshest guacamole you could ever ask for. Good food,too! A lot of the latino players from the Detroit Tigers used to eat there when they were in town.

My shop is about 5 miles from the mexicantown restaurant area.
Raider

delraydella wrote:Raider,

I've been to Armandos many, many times. They have some of the freshest guacamole you could ever ask for. Good food,too! A lot of the latino players from the Detroit Tigers used to eat there when they were in town.

My shop is about 5 miles from the mexicantown restaurant area.
Hi detraydella,

Yes the best guacamole I have ever had!!! Another good place is in Livonia "Coyote Loco" on plymouth Rd, Great carry out.......5 miles No Kiddin, what shop are you working at? I'm working over at Detroit Diesel off I-96 and Telegraph

Mike S
Raider

weldin mike 27 wrote:Hi there,

Hope you can make it down for a holiday in peace time eh? Although the exchange rate kind of sucks at the moment.

Other Mick
Hey Mick,

Yes, one day, I think right now no matter where you go the exchange rate is not what it used to be. This year it will be florida to see my son when he gets back from his latest tour in Afghanistan.

You do any pipe-welding? I;m looking for a stainless steel mirror to see to weld the backside if some HP pipe in concret trench not much room to see down there and the usual glass inspection mirrors don't last to long doing this. Anybody else know where I can get one????????

Mike S