General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.

Anyone with a setup in their garage, did you update your homeowners insurance to include the equipment? If so did your rates go up? I'm thinking that "welding" may be considered a high risk by the insurance companies.

What has been your experience?
Last edited by LtBadd on Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard
Website
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

It all depends on who insures you. My agent knows I do repairs/welding out of my garage and she has never suggested an upgrade. She told me that welding/metal craft is considered a normal activity. I advised my insurance agent about my wood burning stove and my welders and she never batted an eye. Other than the occasional shop rag fire or lighting the fringe on my jeans on fire, I haven't had any problems for years. Knock on wood.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Nobody wants to burn their own house down with welding jobs and therefore have a sensible eye on things, insurers know this. I think the trap in home welding is taking shortcuts with ppe and you can't insure against that so who cares.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
p40whk
    Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:04 pm

Unfortunately, I have first hand experience with this:

I was grinding on one of my welds when the sparks caught some flammable items I had on the shelf close by on fire. $50K damage and my insurance was great!

Didn't cancel me and didn't even question why I was welding in the garage. I was/am 100% covered for everything in my house so I would say as long as you make sure your policy is maxed you shouldn't have any issues.

My Insurance is with State Farm by the way.

I've since move to TIG welding to minimize my need to grid and lessen the sparks from welding. I also bought a welding curtain and no longer have flammable items close by!

p40whk wrote:Unfortunately, I have first hand experience with this:

I was grinding on one of my welds when the sparks caught some flammable items I had on the shelf close by on fire. $50K damage and my insurance was great!

Didn't cancel me and didn't even question why I was welding in the garage. I was/am 100% covered for everything in my house so I would say as long as you make sure your policy is maxed you shouldn't have any issues.

My Insurance is with State Farm by the way.

I've since move to TIG welding to minimize my need to grid and lessen the sparks from welding. I also bought a welding curtain and no longer have flammable items close by!
Wow, sorry to hear about that, but appreciate your response.
Richard
Website
bruce991
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

I know I would think more about welding in the garage if it was attached to my home. Mine is a pole barn across the yard and I stick weld outside, TIG inside.
Coldman

Welding and grinding outside near grass has its risks also. Ask me how I know.

Coldman wrote:Welding and grinding outside near grass has its risks also. Ask me how I know.
Was that the heat signature spotted by US satellite's? :lol:
Richard
Website
Coldman

No I managed to stay under the radar but I did scare hell out of the shop neighbors. Had the water hose right beside me (luck) but sprayed plenty of water to douse it.
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

Coldman wrote:Welding and grinding outside near grass has its risks also. Ask me how I know.
You are not alone........... :)
p40whk
    Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:04 pm

Whatever you do, NEVER grind on welds with a shelf full of fireworks nearby! :o
Tokoroa_Welder
    Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:13 am

Oh dear. I can imagine that would be quite the surprise.