General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

When I was busting my hump on 4th order differential equations and getting nowhere, I rang one of the local universities faculty of mathematics or science and asked if a tutor was available. They set me up with a pure math PhD student (brain the size of a planet and was rewriting the big bang theory etc) who was grateful for a bit a cash being a student himself and we met in the lunch room once or twice a week. He drilled me good, instead of failing I started getting distinctions. Believe me if I can do it, anyone can with the right help. You just gotta go and find it, don't accept failure.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
GunsmokedBacon
    Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:35 pm

I visited a local welding and fabricating shop over here just looking for advice. It turns out that the owners would be willing to hire to me (at first to help of course) but then acquire welding skills over time. I don't know too much about the process of getting certified, but one owner basically told me that he would be willing to set me up for a city and state certification down the line. He says that going to welding school is pretty much worthless on its own. I don't know how true that last part is, but should I take advantage of his offer? He sounds like a pretty trustworthy guy but I hope he wouldn't just have me around to be a laborer without any type of eventual welding. Either way, he'd still be paying me.
Tom Osselton
    Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:33 am

It would depend are you working now? Working there would show you the bullet before biting it.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

If the pay is ok it would probably give you a real close look at the enviroment you would be in if you chose it as a career with out any major commitments.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
BLURAT
    Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:35 am

If that welding opportunity is relatively close to where you presently live, jump on it ! Yes you may start with a broom, but you can certainly move up. It's exactly what you need to see if it's truly your passion. If it pays equal or more than your retail gig, why not go for it ?

Is it possible to work there part time, or does it need to be a full time commitment? It sounds like the owner sees something that he likes in you...this is good. You should become a sponge and soak up all that you can on a day to day basis.Ask questions, read, study on your own.

I highly recommend the following 2 books : Chenier's Practical Math Dictionary and Chenier's Practical Math Application Guide. I am not a math person. I am not wired to do math on a classroom wall for the sake of doing math...it's not going to happen. However, I can do math for practical applications....and these books are just FANTASTIC. They cover basic math up through trig. They cover layout, measurement and every shape known to man...all in easy to digest manner for the trades person.
Go to their website and look around as he has a very interesting background.
Also get a good used copy of the Machinery's Handbook...another invaluable resource. It's been mentioned by numerous other posters (a few welding instructors especially ) that you need to become a PROFESSIONAL. Show up early, do grunt work with a smile, CLEAN the shop and be organized and thoughtful. Ask clarifying questions before perhaps destroying expensive stock !
Practice, Practice, Practice! and get great on the basics: measurement, layout, fitting, safety, organization and effeciency. Getting along well with others, being pleasant and getting things done !
You will become invaluable to your employer if you do. If they are willing to start you out and teach you, I say jump on it. What kind of operation is this place you walked into ?

Keep us posted, Marry Christmas and Good Luck !

Shawn in
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

The 3 posts above have nailed it.
If welding is what you want to do, go for it.
He does have a point, welding school will only teach you so much, school and workplace training/reinforcement is much better.
Fitting up, preparation, safety, cleaning etc are 80% of the job, weldings the rest.
If you have an employer willing to take you on, train you and pay you, grasp the oppertunity with both hands and give it your all with a smile, that doesnt happen all that often these days.
Good luck with it.
Merry Christmas.
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
GunsmokedBacon

BLURAT wrote:If that welding opportunity is relatively close to where you presently live, jump on it ! Yes you may start with a broom, but you can certainly move up. It's exactly what you need to see if it's truly your passion. If it pays equal or more than your retail gig, why not go for it ?

Is it possible to work there part time, or does it need to be a full time commitment? It sounds like the owner sees something that he likes in you...this is good. You should become a sponge and soak up all that you can on a day to day basis.Ask questions, read, study on your own.

I highly recommend the following 2 books : Chenier's Practical Math Dictionary and Chenier's Practical Math Application Guide. I am not a math person. I am not wired to do math on a classroom wall for the sake of doing math...it's not going to happen. However, I can do math for practical applications....and these books are just FANTASTIC. They cover basic math up through trig. They cover layout, measurement and every shape known to man...all in easy to digest manner for the trades person.
Go to their website and look around as he has a very interesting background.
Also get a good used copy of the Machinery's Handbook...another invaluable resource. It's been mentioned by numerous other posters (a few welding instructors especially ) that you need to become a PROFESSIONAL. Show up early, do grunt work with a smile, CLEAN the shop and be organized and thoughtful. Ask clarifying questions before perhaps destroying expensive stock !
Practice, Practice, Practice! and get great on the basics: measurement, layout, fitting, safety, organization and effeciency. Getting along well with others, being pleasant and getting things done !
You will become invaluable to your employer if you do. If they are willing to start you out and teach you, I say jump on it. What kind of operation is this place you walked into ?

Keep us posted, Marry Christmas and Good Luck !

Shawn in
Wow, thank you for the reply.

My weakness in math really discourages me from pursing an engineering degree. However, I've done plenty of research on engineering as well as many others careers, and I don't think the nature of the engineering work is for me. Sure you don't bust your ass and the pay is better but I like making things happen. Not sitting on a computer designing various things. It just doesn't look like something I'd enjoy doing.

I feel like I may regret not getting a degree in the future. But if my only interests in college are liberal arts majors, would college really be a worthwhile investment?

The place in question is a welding and fabrication shop. Here's their site:

http://www.alliancewelding.com
GunsmokedBacon

And yes, it is extremely close to me. 2 miles away from my house.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Looks like there useing a variety of different trades at a certified level. A good thing if you want to see a variety. I only read the equipment list. That seems pretty standard for a good sized shop. You may be able to find some pictures of projects they work on, most companies post some examples on there site or on a social media site.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
BLURAT

I just looked at your topic again as I had a monster busy work week. That shop looks amazing. If they have been in business since 1975 and have such a backround....SPRINT, don't run over there, and DO IT. If it's 2 miles from home, you could save major expenses without a commute.

Show up early, leave late. Offer to pay for your own consumables to practice on your own time if need be.....study on your own.....your nickname should become THE SPONGE: Two eyes, Two ears, one mouth......ask questions often (not to the point of annoyance of course)......All of the best books that you could need for self study (on all the facets of your work enviornment) can be sourced online for extremely cheap.

I would say get in that shop ASAP and report back to us with your updates.

Good Luck, Merry Christmas, and definitely keep us updated !!!
BLURAT

You are young enough to postpone (or part time pursue) school......an opportunity like this is not a frequent occurrence nowadays......get on it.....school can wait, or be scaled back.
MTBob
    Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:26 pm

BLURAT wrote:Show up early, leave late. Offer to pay for your own consumables to practice on your own time if need be.....study on your own.....your nickname should become THE SPONGE: Two eyes, Two ears, one mouth......ask questions often (not to the point of annoyance of course)......All of the best books that you could need for self study (on all the facets of your work enviornment) can be sourced online for extremely cheap.
I would say get in that shop ASAP
BlURAT nailed it, exactly my thoughts. You have an opportunity that is very rare. Just remember, the people in that shop will look at you as though you know nothing - and they'll likely consider you just another irresponsible kid. It's up to you to prove your worth to the company and gain the respect of the craftsmen. Take the attitude that you'll do anything for anyone at anytime, no quesitons asked - and do it with a smile on your face. Show up early, work late, and at the end of the day ask yourself if you've helped make money for your boss. Show these guys that you have a "can do" attitude and you'll go a long way. This may seem overly simple but, if you just show up on time, you'll be ahead of 75% of the other guys your age.
Now here's our challenge to you - a bunch of us on this forum have spent some of our time giving you some serious advice, and we don't even know you. So, take some time over the next several months and reply back to this same thread and let us know how you are doing. I'm sure many of us will be interested in your progress.
And, finally, have a great Christmas - and enjoy your new ventures in 2016.
South Bend Lathe
Clausing Vertical Mill
Empire Blast Cabinet
And more than a life time of tools to learn how to use
Captainbeaky
    Fri May 29, 2015 6:00 pm

Hi GSB,

I've read your very well written posts, and you are exactly where I was when I was your age.

I hated maths, and wanted to build electronic things and play with big boys toys...
( I worked as a barman!)
Then I met an engineer who explained it all to me - I'm really glad you are here asking these questions.
I took the long view, of short - term hard work, for long term career gain - endured college, got my electronics engineering degree and then hit the world of work - which was nothing like college at all!

People think that engineering is all about flying a desk, and designing stuff on a computer - that is not the whole story. I've worked at almost every level, from "clean room" microelectronics and software in safety critical aircraft systems for GE, through to hydraulics in large earth moving machinery for caterpillar, and automotive engineering for Jaguar and Land Rover.

Engineering is not all shirtsleeves and CAD - someone has to understand what you can actually build in the real world, and how it will work - with a good all- round understanding of how stuff works, and the ability to learn new technologies etc,.

To wind up the desk jockeys, I talk about how I use CAD at home to make repair panels for cars - they get all excited and start talking 3D mapping etc, until I point out that CAD stands for Cardboard Aided Design in my garage!

By nature, I want to know how everything works - and it is my all round knowledge that keeps putting bread on the table, and has got me my dream job - working at Rolls-Royce Aero.

My maths is rubbish too!

The college education can be very dry and unexciting, but once you are through it, you can expand your horizons to encompass whatever you want. An old teacher said that you start learning when you get your first job, and boy he was right...

A college degree opens the door to many very special jobs, but most importantly, you will be more able to steer your career path - you will have proven your ability to learn and adapt - which is what a degree really shows.

If you are more mechanically minded, then there are many possibilities in mechanical engineering, hydraulics, or even as someone has mentioned, via chemistry, the very quirky but fabulously interesting world of metallurgy & materials engineering - which is especially relevant in today's world of composites. From experience, metallurgists and materials engineers are usually a separate breed of people - fun, interesting, but a little bit weird.....

You will still be needing your practical skills, and some smaller companies are very happy to have engineers who don't mind getting dirty. ( I loved it at Caterpillar - the ultimate meeting of electronics systems and brute force earth moving....but the laundry bill for overalls was quite high...) the working kit was quite strange to get used to - steel capped riggers boots, hard hat, overalls, and a laptop!

A desk jockey designs stuff, but still needs someone who understands how it's put together to work out if it can be made.

I weld classic cars in my spare time, rebuild engines, etc etc - my career is one based in electronic systems, but my speciality is understanding how systems work and interact in the real world. Not enough engineers know how stuff is nailed together and what happens in the real world - it's embarrassing sometimes to see some "engineers" struggle to change a tyre...

An all round knowledge of practical techniques coupled to a formal engineering degree and a can-do flexible mindset is (imo) a very useful and profitable combination - it's served me very well through the years, and I have had my practical skills to fall back on when the engineering work dried up.

WRT the health aspects, you won't have any problems if you observe the correct use of PPE - apart from the obvious inherent safety issues of playing with red hot or molten metal... Hint - if it's glowing, don't touch it!

Only you know if you are up to the challenge of the formal education route - if you have specific concerns, then go and talk to your tutors, explain your difficulties and listen to them, they often run helper courses to help you out if you are dropping behind.

there are two good books here in the UK
"Engineering Mathematics" and "Further Engineering Mathematics" bu K.A.Stroud.
It's Maths, for non- mathematicians - may be of some help to you.

Hope this rambling discourse helps somewhat.

P.M. Me if you would like to know more about engineering as a career.

Mike.

Captainbeaky wrote:Hi GSB,

I've read your very well written posts, and you are exactly where I was when I was your age.

I hated maths, and wanted to build electronic things and play with big boys toys...
( I worked as a barman!)
Then I met an engineer who explained it all to me - I'm really glad you are here asking these questions.
I took the long view, of short - term hard work, for long term career gain - endured college, got my electronics engineering degree and then hit the world of work - which was nothing like college at all!

People think that engineering is all about flying a desk, and designing stuff on a computer - that is not the whole story. I've worked at almost every level, from "clean room" microelectronics and software in safety critical aircraft systems for GE, through to hydraulics in large earth moving machinery for caterpillar, and automotive engineering for Jaguar and Land Rover.

Engineering is not all shirtsleeves and CAD - someone has to understand what you can actually build in the real world, and how it will work - with a good all- round understanding of how stuff works, and the ability to learn new technologies etc,.

To wind up the desk jockeys, I talk about how I use CAD at home to make repair panels for cars - they get all excited and start talking 3D mapping etc, until I point out that CAD stands for Cardboard Aided Design in my garage!

By nature, I want to know how everything works - and it is my all round knowledge that keeps putting bread on the table, and has got me my dream job - working at Rolls-Royce Aero.

My maths is rubbish too!

The college education can be very dry and unexciting, but once you are through it, you can expand your horizons to encompass whatever you want. An old teacher said that you start learning when you get your first job, and boy he was right...

A college degree opens the door to many very special jobs, but most importantly, you will be more able to steer your career path - you will have proven your ability to learn and adapt - which is what a degree really shows.

If you are more mechanically minded, then there are many possibilities in mechanical engineering, hydraulics, or even as someone has mentioned, via chemistry, the very quirky but fabulously interesting world of metallurgy & materials engineering - which is especially relevant in today's world of composites. From experience, metallurgists and materials engineers are usually a separate breed of people - fun, interesting, but a little bit weird.....

You will still be needing your practical skills, and some smaller companies are very happy to have engineers who don't mind getting dirty. ( I loved it at Caterpillar - the ultimate meeting of electronics systems and brute force earth moving....but the laundry bill for overalls was quite high...) the working kit was quite strange to get used to - steel capped riggers boots, hard hat, overalls, and a laptop!

A desk jockey designs stuff, but still needs someone who understands how it's put together to work out if it can be made.

I weld classic cars in my spare time, rebuild engines, etc etc - my career is one based in electronic systems, but my speciality is understanding how systems work and interact in the real world. Not enough engineers know how stuff is nailed together and what happens in the real world - it's embarrassing sometimes to see some "engineers" struggle to change a tyre...

An all round knowledge of practical techniques coupled to a formal engineering degree and a can-do flexible mindset is (imo) a very useful and profitable combination - it's served me very well through the years, and I have had my practical skills to fall back on when the engineering work dried up.

WRT the health aspects, you won't have any problems if you observe the correct use of PPE - apart from the obvious inherent safety issues of playing with red hot or molten metal... Hint - if it's glowing, don't touch it!

Only you know if you are up to the challenge of the formal education route - if you have specific concerns, then go and talk to your tutors, explain your difficulties and listen to them, they often run helper courses to help you out if you are dropping behind.

there are two good books here in the UK
"Engineering Mathematics" and "Further Engineering Mathematics" bu K.A.Stroud.
It's Maths, for non- mathematicians - may be of some help to you.

Hope this rambling discourse helps somewhat.

P.M. Me if you would like to know more about engineering as a career.

Mike.
Well said Mike, every (college) student should understand these concepts...life lessons
Cheers!
Richard
Website
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Mike -

Great post, thank you. The 'by nature, I want to know how everything works' strikes a chord with me. And yet I'm a writer.

Can I also recommend - for everyone - Matthew B. Crawford's excellent book 'Shop Class as Soulcraft.' A very worthwhile read.

Cheers,

Kym