General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Sylice
    Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:30 am

Ive been working at Food Lion since I graduated high school, want a career change and better income. Does anyone work in industrial maintenance? Will it provide a good income for a 20 year old? This is where I plan on getting the A.A.S degree:
http://www.waynecc.edu/industrial-systems/degree/

I'll also try to do an intern so I can have the degree and the experience
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Industrial maint can be a good field. If you can do an internship you will get some valuable experience.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:26 am

If you have a good work ethic, and learn your trade, you will never be hungry. You may have to move around locally at times. Long gone are the days of getting a job and staying with one company for your career. My friend who's only 15 years older than you does just that and makes in the $35+ hr range, NON union, 9-5. Union can be even more lucrative, but can be a real hassle to get into depending on your area. And he has no colledge edumkation, OR student debt. Just a real smart guy who knows his trade and isn't afraid to get his hands dirty. I also have friends that I can't say so much about who did spend years to buy a paper certificate in a fancy frame on the wall that aren't worth $h!+

Do NOT stop learning. LEARN the mechanical,HVAC and electrical knowledge, sit for a electrical licence and EPA refrigeration test when you can, and you can write your own ticket.
Ryan

Miller Dynasty 350 w/wireless pedal
Miller 350P with standard torch and XR-Aluma-Pro
Miller Multimatic 200 w/spool gun w/wireless pedal
Miller Spectrum 375 X-TREME
Smith torches
Optrel e684
Miller Digital Elite
Miller Weld-Mask
bruce991
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

I retired from maintenance at a food plant. You had to be a plumber, a fabricator/welder, PLC programmer and troubleshooter, controls expert, tile and concrete man, electrician learn to deal with anhydrous ammonia systems, hazmat waste water treatment should I continue? LOL. Makes you work hard and learn a lot.
gnuuser
    Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:10 pm

bruce991 wrote:I retired from maintenance at a food plant. You had to be a plumber, a fabricator/welder, PLC programmer and troubleshooter, controls expert, tile and concrete man, electrician learn to deal with anhydrous ammonia systems, hazmat waste water treatment should I continue? LOL. Makes you work hard and learn a lot.
aint that the truth!
Im about 7 months away from retirement myself and i'll say its been a trip.
sometimes its slow and other times your so busy that it would be easier to try juggling live chickens :lol:
you will learn a lot and you will have the chances to obtain technical schooling on the equipment you will be working on.
being a good welder is a definite plus here
shooting the $#!t is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (more splatter);)
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Maintenance was never my intent. Frankly, it was never and still isn't my primary responsibility. However, once my employer saw I was conscientious about maintaining the equipment I use in my primary duties, They paid for my NFPA70e qualification, and sent me to school to be certified as an overhead crane inspector.

Now that my job is about to cease to exist, these things are going to look sweet on my resume'.

Steve S
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

I'm a working maintenance supervisor in the food industry, supporting the lines and equipment and do a lot of fab work with my background. I weld daily, sanitary pipe, framing, support carts, machine parts etc...

I make good money, but like others work a good bit of hours. Look for a company that is stable, be humble when you start and listen to your coworkers...you'll learn a lot. We have a lot of younger guys come in (I'm only 38) that expect to be CEO as soon as they hit the floor.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

I have taught welding at two community colleges, and at each one, the guys taking Industrial Maintenance have had NO problem finding work right out of school. Also, the work is varied so that you will likely never be bored!
Gary