General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
lindsay75
    Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:13 pm

I'm sure there are a few of ya on here, and I would appreciate it if I could get a few questions answered. Question 1....Just to start, getting by with the bare minimum, would a Millermatic 252 and a Syncrowave 250 be enough? Question 2....Is there any secrets to getting a customer base set? Question 3....What are the pros and cons to working for yourself opposed to working for an already established company? Might sound like questions I should already know the answers to, but I'm about 1 more bad day away from making the best, or the worst, decision I've made in a long time. Thanks in advance for any input you can give me....Keith
Life is tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid.
pro mod steve
    Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:47 am

Cold calls hit machine shops body shops repair shops any company who deals with metal in your area let em know your available to fix what they can't and remember smiles open doors. I finished tig school april last year purely personal needs and saw a busines benefit too. After I got set up dynasty 200 I started talking to people we deal with( I own an automotive repair business). I spoke with a few companies near us but didn't push it as sole source of income. Happy customers and word of mouth have really worked well. School really helped me learn the fundamentals but there is nithing like real world to hone your skills. I approach every job as if i don't learn something from it I am not trying hard enough. Remember there is no shame turning down a job when your gut instinct says RUN.
Ferrelli
    Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:54 am

Well if you want a 24/7 job, that will be on your mind most of the time. That you have all that other stuff to deal with. Billing, paperwork ,estimates, overhead, shop ? money for equipment,consumables,tools ,truck,etc. But the bright side of the game; tax benifits!!!!!!!!!!!,everything you do is for the business, records!. If you believe in yourself and can think out of the box and are willing to do whatever it takes. Plus have a very realistic veiw of ownership. I'm 56 and went into business for myself six years ago. I'm good with it,but there will allways be those things that pop up that you never would of thought. Its not for everyone. Oh if your married make darn sure she's backing ya up on this one. I wish ya all the luck( labor under correct knowledge) in the world!!!!!
lindsay75

My idea for now is to take it slow, hopefully get a handful of jobs, and let word of mouth take over. My biggest concern is my location. I live in a town of 400. Obviously a rural town, which got me thinking in another direction....Being surrounded by farmers, elevators, ag storage, etc., mobile might be the way to go. Engine drive, wire feeder, and an inverter should get just about as much done for what I'm wanting to do. Decisions, decisions.... :lol:
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

There are pros and cons to going either way, and Ferrelli is dead right on about owning your own business, but if you do start up on your own make sure you have a good accountant/tax person. He/she can make life a whole lot easier come tax time

It sounds like you have a good plan of what to do where you are, hopefully it will keep you as busy as you want to be.

My only tip for business...if anyone calls and asks "If you give me a nice discount on this job, there'll be plenty of work to follow"...DON'T BELIEVE THEM!!!! After you finish the job and give them a nice discount, you'll never hear from that person again.
The correct answer to that question is " Pay the full price this time and when the plenty of work follows, then we'll talk about a discount" :D

Good Luck!
Steve
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

First thing is first. You do not decide what type of business you want to open up. The surrounding market and the need for the type of services you will provide will determine the type. ie... welding, (mobile, shop, or both). Do a thorough study of the demographics in your area. How many other businesses in your area offer the same services.
Second, the number one killer of small businesses in the first year is not enough start-up capitol. You need to find a way to support yourself and the business until it can support itself and you. It will not take off overnight. TRUST ME ON THIS.
I WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK. THERE IS NOTHING I LIKE TO SEE MORE THAN FOR SOMEONE TO MAKE IT ON THEIR OWN. BUT IT WILL NOT BE A PIECE OF CAKE.
I will help any way I can. Feel free to ask anything.
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
lindsay75

To hit on a couple things delraydella said, my wife is a parallegal that has dealt with real estate, estates, taxes, etc., so thats a BIG plus, and she's 100% on board with me. I've had several people tell me "If you do this, I have soooo much work for you with my company !"....yeah, whatever. I'm very much a realist, and know a company isn't gonna hire a new welder for a job that can make them or break them. Now to hit on what jpence38 said....I think the agriculture, trucking (grain hauling), bin & silo work, would be a good bet. As far as I know, there are very few mobile services available here. Plenty of shops, but no mobile. And you're from the hometown of Kelly Pavlik....I have a hard time disagreeing with anything you say. :D
Ferrelli
    Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:54 am

Gee Steve I though I was the only one that fell for the discount spill. Good advice! I started in the Ag industry my first welding job. Anyhow the bigger farms had their own staff to do most of the welding repair. The smaller farmers would do most of there own welding as well. The fabrication area was the place that most operations did'nt have the ability or equipment to do. I think you have a good idea, don't quit your day job and try your bus on the side. You'll get a feel about how much work is out there in your area. The advice about having enough money in the bank to weather the storms of life is also great advice. I know that one first hand, it hit me out of the blue with a handful of jobs already lined up right around christmas time and they all canceled for one reasone or another. Took me two years to fully get out of that one. So owning your own bus can be very scary as well as very rewarding, be creative and try to find or create a nich. Keep your dream and have a positive attitute even when the turkeys are tring to take ya down. Best wishes!!!