General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
StephanusThie
    Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:55 am

I made mine of mild steel plate and now am tired of cleaning it from red corrosion every 2 weeks.
I need suggestion please, on how to make a good and cheap welding table!!!
Thank you all in advance.
Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
Hypertherm Powermax65
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

Every table I have ever worked on was either mild steel or a cast steel or cast iron. I have a mild steel table (A36) out in my shop and I don't get any kind of oxidation or "rust" on it. Do you have yours in an environment that is prone to a lot of moisture? If so, try taking some anti-spatter spray and putting a light coating of that on it. It also helps the spatter from welding to not stick to the table. Other than that I could only suggest taking some type of petroleum based product (PB Blaster, WD 40, or Motor oil) and putting a real light coating on it.
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
Rbeckett
    Mon May 10, 2010 7:01 am

I painted my table with OSPHO from sherwin Williams. Stinks and smokes a bit if you directly heat the table but that cured the rust issue. I just touch up where I damage the coating and continue to march. Dont know if it is toxic, but I avoid as much xmoke and funes as I xan since I have COPD anyway. Hope this helps.
Bob