General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
charlie19
    Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:58 pm

I just bought a used SA200 and would like to find out if it has copper or aluminum windings. How do I find this information?
nickn372
    Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:35 am

Look at the stator right behind the engine where it is mounted to the frame. If it is shaped like a stop sign (octagonal) then it is wound with copper clad aluminum. If it is round then it is all copper. Red face plate or black face plate also will give a good indication but it is not definite. Also if you search by serial number on Lincoln's website you may be able to find out by year. Some black faces were actually built with the full copper windings. I belive the actual switch was made between 73 and 74. The best way to tell though without a teardown is by the stator.
Be the monkey....
Sanford
    Sun May 24, 2015 8:45 pm

Copper
sa200 21.JPG
sa200 21.JPG (57.44 KiB) Viewed 3214 times
Not copper
Nice-1972-lincoln-sa-200-pipeline-arc-welder-sa-200-img-1.jpg
Nice-1972-lincoln-sa-200-pipeline-arc-welder-sa-200-img-1.jpg (16.4 KiB) Viewed 3214 times

like previously said the stator with the squared of edges aren't copper

I rebuilt a red face a few years back and sold it........ wish I hadn't but I had no use for it. Sure did weld smooth.
sa200 28.JPG
sa200 28.JPG (57.72 KiB) Viewed 3214 times
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

I wouldn't get too hung up on the "all copper winding" thing.
They're all DC generators and that's what makes them so smooth.

Mine was converted to propane and it has a magneto for the ignition.
If the battery, alternator or starter fails, it can be started with the manual crank handle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUtWsHJcSfU
charlie19 wrote:I just bought a used SA200 and would like to find out if it has copper or aluminum windings. How do I find this information?
Sanford
    Sun May 24, 2015 8:45 pm

I've heard the copper winding machine can work longer in comparison to the aluminum machines with out over heating I'm assuming. Any truth to that?
nickn372
    Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:35 am

You have to be burning pretty hot all day to see that drop off. Like welding bridge beams with 3/16 rod. These machines are built with 400 amp stators and armatures. They used to break them in at the factory by hooking the ends of 4/0 leads together for a while. At least that's the story I was told by a pretty reputable source. Any of these machines you get a hold of will be solid. It's the engine end that you should be looking at in any genset welder. The old continental f163 (SA200) is the best in that style welder and the parts can be found almost anywhere. This is as much of a reason as any why they are so popular.
Be the monkey....