General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.

So does your company have a policy concerning the use of cell phones?

If so what is it, do the workers abide by it? What are your thoughts about this?

I believe it relates to a persons work ethic, have I ever had a personal call during work hours, sure
but it's rare, sometimes I don't take the call, and return the call or text on my own time. I work in a
small shop and would like to hear what other shops are doing.

Richard
Richard
Website
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Richard,

Our original company policy banning them from the premises was based on abuse... People texting (and, in fact, job-searching) during work hours. This was one individual. It expanded when one fellow would hide in the bathroom to check his messages.

Our current company policy (following a major corporate buyout) is based on the idea that nearly all phones have recording ability, such as cameras and voice recording "note taker" functions, that might allow proprietary information to slip out.

I find this ridiculous. I can carry out far more information in my head, and a few simple sketches, than my cell-phone camera can steal.

I've posted many forbidden pictures here, with no secrets given out. I'd still be doing it, but I need to replace my digital camera.

Steve S
ATubbin7
    Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:55 pm

Where I work they don't allow them in the shop but everyone still brings them in. But if the owner catches you on it he'll fire you on the spot, no questions asked.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

I have a fairly unique reason for not being allowed to carry a phone being there are no affordable explosion proof phones. The same for digital cameras.

That being said there are no explosion proof extension cords, cordless drills, or anything else for that matter when it comes to Hydrogen. Some things are just safer than others.

My boss is the worst offender when it comes to using his phone in the plant and did it not long ago in front of our safety guy and our regional line manager. We all got a letter telling us not to use them outside of the control room and he told us that we need to carry our company phones with us at all times, go figure.

Driving a company vehicle and not using a hands free device is grounds for termination.

I personally hope that they become illegal because they're nothing more than an electronic leash that we put on ourselves.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

But dude, how am I supposed to keep up with the inner workings if the Internet if I don't have my phone?!?!
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

We have no rules relating to phones, except for driving the vehicles while on one. Just yesterday, the safety meeting made mention of not using phones in work areas because of safety reasons. But our current boss has never chastised anyone for doing anything on a phone, no matter how blatant it may be. I have imposed my own ban on mine, because I can't keep my hand off it. It stays in my locker, during work hours. Best thing I ever did
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

I feel like if you are a professional, you don't have your cell phone on you during work. Period. The exception would be that there is some real family crisis, in which case you inform the boss at the start of the shift that you might be getting a call, which will be important and which you must take. Apologize for this, but the fact is that if you already have a reputation for NOT using your cell during work, the boss will be fine with your situation.

Again, to me, this is about professionalism. Just about anyone can learn to weld. Not everyone is a welder/fabricator or welder/fitter. Folks on this forum ought to be mature enough to know the difference. I have owned my own business, I have run business for other people. There are two things that I will shit can you for almost immediately. One is being late, and the other is behaving like a little girl with your cell phone. And yes, companies can fire you at any time without cause.
ATubbin7
    Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:55 pm

Boomer63 wrote:I feel like if you are a professional, you don't have your cell phone on you during work. Period. The exception would be that there is some real family crisis, in which case you inform the boss at the start of the shift that you might be getting a call, which will be important and which you must take. Apologize for this, but the fact is that if you already have a reputation for NOT using your cell during work, the boss will be fine with your situation.

Again, to me, this is about professionalism. Just about anyone can learn to weld. Not everyone is a welder/fabricator or welder/fitter. Folks on this forum ought to be mature enough to know the difference. I have owned my own business, I have run business for other people. There are two things that I will shit can you for almost immediately. One is being late, and the other is behaving like a little girl with your cell phone. And yes, companies can fire you at any time without cause.
That is exactly how I see it also. I used to work for my dad and he had a no phones on the job policy which worked very well for the most part. But it shows a sense of maturity and responsibility if you don't have to have your phone in your hand every 5 minutes checking to see if you have a text. It not only slows production but keeps you distracted from the task at hand.
    Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:30 am

I worked for 'Kiewit' (PKS) on a power plant. Their program was "We do not pay you to talk on your phone here, period", Getting caught came with a good likelihood of getting two checks at noon.

I worked on a railroad project where some workers brought two phones or extra batteries so they could keep talking, all day.
The crew I was on, NOONE talked personally except at lunch. We did use our phones with the foreman quite a bit, we got 'OT' hours to cover expenses, tho. Not to be bragging, but we were prolly the most productive crew on the job, we started projects 'cause the other crews didnt know to, we finished projects 'cause others couldnt. Use of our phones faciltated this.

fwiw,

-c-

Look! a hole in the space-time continuum!
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

I can remember, and I am sure a lot of you can also remember, 'back in the day' before cell phones, pagers, answering machines, etc. If you were out of touch, you were out of touch. Imagine working 'back in the day' with the woman at home calling the company five - ten times a day just to find out how the guy is doing. It would never, never happen.

I remember first getting a pager. I was working field construction. One day, I got a page from the girlfriend. So, I rolled up the cable, packed up the truck and drove down the street until I found a pay phone (pay phones were very common back then). So, the stupid bimbo asks me; "What time are you coming home?" And my response was: "An hour later than whatever my original time was, because I had to run down the road to find a phone so I could call your stupid, bimbo ass!" And no ... that relationship did not work out.
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

We have a no phone policy as well, like others it more due to abuse. We do have a "allowed to carry list" for maintenance personal and management, etc. Im the supervisor for all maintenance on B shift, I have no problem with some one using it quickly if needed, but don't be playing games or texting your girl all night.

We also arnt supposed to have them for photos and videos, but I still post photos of my work but nothing that would give any trade secrets away or get me in trouble. My core area is in a food division that makes flavors and extracts so I do a lot of work in explosion proof areas (198 proof alcohol) so phones are not allowed there, but like Len stated they have basically no issue. Hell I weld, drill, grind etc in there but I always have my sniffer with me. I'm also required to have a intrinsically safe radio in that area as well.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB

Boomer63 wrote:I can remember, and I am sure a lot of you can also remember, 'back in the day' before cell phones, pagers, answering machines, etc. If you were out of touch, you were out of touch. Imagine working 'back in the day' with the woman at home calling the company five - ten times a day just to find out how the guy is doing. It would never, never happen.

I remember first getting a pager. I was working field construction. One day, I got a page from the girlfriend. So, I rolled up the cable, packed up the truck and drove down the street until I found a pay phone (pay phones were very common back then). So, the stupid bimbo asks me; "What time are you coming home?" And my response was: "An hour later than whatever my original time was, because I had to run down the road to find a phone so I could call your stupid, bimbo ass!" And no ... that relationship did not work out.
So funny and true
I appreciate everyone's responses, we don't have a policy at our shop but sometimes I wish the owner did.
Richard
Website
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

I know that my employer has a policy on it, but it is seldom enforced, and a bit arbitrarily when it is.

The most commonly seen phones are playing music into headphones for some of the assembly workers doing small part work, but at least a couple of people are constantly getting messages from kids or facebook, or talking (loudly!) in a variety of languages.

As others have said above, there is a perception of your professionalism that goes along with some discipline around phones. Using them indiscriminately throws any appearance of such out the window.
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.