General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Squirmypug
    Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:47 am

I've been looking at getting a new welding helmet, I would like to know which you would buy and why.I have narrowed it down to either a Miller digital elite or a Speedglas 9100x, maybe 9100xx.If anyone can give me some info on these or recommend another helmet it would be great. Thanks for any info :D
jason.hwnd
    Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:33 am

Watch Jody's review on the Digital Elite - I share the exact same thoughts he does.
Another fella in my area also has the same helmet, he too shares the same views.
Miller Aerowave
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

20 dollar home depot flip down. Old school baby!!! :):):)
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
Squirmypug

Thanks Jason, I have watched the video and know its a good helmet, but would also like to know about the Speedglas before spending $300. Kermdawg I have a flip down Metal Fiber that I use alot :) Also have a $50 autodark blue flame helmet but would like to get something better to tig with. Thanks guys :D
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi there,
I have a Speed Glas 9002x and it gets a good workout everyday. It has an Adfo powered filter and flex view flip up front. The adflo makes it a bit on the heavy side though. I have looked at the new 9100 model. It is a completely redesigned shield. The first thing is that it is very light. Way lighter that the 9002x. The other main change is that with the adflo option, the air comes in in a different spot. Down by your left cheek instead of over your forehead. this is great because it doesn't have such a heavy weight high up. Check them out. They really are great. Expensive but worth it.
Squirmypug

My LWS doesn't have a 9100 I can try on, I did try a few other Speedglas and didn't really like the headgear.Thanks for letting me know its lighter than the other model Mike, did you notice if it has better headgear in it?
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

hi,
That's a big yes on the different head gear. The new shield has fully adjustable head gear where you can adjust the size as per normal as well as the strap across the top of your head. The distance the the lens is away from your eyes can be changed in and out. As well as up and down. They also accept a magnifying lens for the less eagle eyed among us. Sounds like I work for speed glas, doesn't it? I dont though. I just think they're great. They almost give me wood.
Hope this helps. They have a pretty good website as well. www.speedglas.com
Kind Regards Mick
Squirmypug

Mike what you said makes it even harder to choose which helmet :? Wish I could find a 9100 local to try on.
Ace Welder

Squirmy Pug, I think this is the helmet you should buy haha.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/amaz ... CF9452.jpg
Ace Custom Fabrication A Calgary Welding Company.
Squirmypug

Lol that is an interesting looking helmet.Its too late tho, I ordered the Miller digital elite yesterday..if only you had posted earlier.. :lol:
Mule
    Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Not to get anyones dandar up but who needs to part with 300 dollars of hard earned cash for a name ? Really, now unless you have it falling out of your pockets there are a lot of really good helmets out there that will do just as good of job for about a third of the money. When I first started welding I remember when I purchased my first helmet. The salesman asked me "who's paying for this ? " I was a little puzzled and said "Me of course " . He then laughed and took the Miller shield out of my hand and moving down the rack said this is the helmet for you. It was a promotional shield at the time from ESAB. It had many of the features as the Miller at a third of the cost. He said " if the boss is buying I will sell you the Miller, if you are this is the one for you ". I still remember that. Since then I have pushed a lot of wire and still use an ESAB. Yes, I can afford to lay out the bucks on a brand name now but why ? I can buy a wack of rod for the buck fifty I saved on a great little helmet.

Just a little food for thought for the average Joe welder who likes to bank his / her profits.

Mule
Mule

You got me there. I am spoiled working in a esweat box shop. I guess I shouldn't assume everyone else has it so good, lol. Lesson learned. Thanks for the wake up.
Squirmypug

I've been using the digital elite for 2 weeks now and it has been great, other than feeling a little flimsy I have no complaints.And to Mule..what efkinn said :D but really, I spent the money not because of the name but because of all that goes with it.I know that should I have any problems with it I can call and have Miller stand behind their word and repair/replace parts if needed.Plus you can't tell me that the Vintage USA digital elite doesn't look bad a55. :lol:
Mule

Geeze guys the more I hear about all the great options and satisfication I am wanting to joint the "Elite" too.
TheExpert

The Hobart Auto Darkening Welding Helmet is a good helmet for TIG welding of low amperage. It has a reaction time of 1/16,000 seconds and a auto-darkening feature where the lens darkens while welding.