General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
drross
    Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:08 pm

Did I wire this correctly? Seems like it should be easy but the diagrams with the plug and receptacle were unclear.

10/3 wire. Green between the center posts. White between the two posts marked with the white dot. The white dot in the center of the receptacle is a screw. Black to the unmarked posts. I did check continuity to be sure the marks were right.

I'll feel a lot better to be sure I have not crossed anything. Thanks
Attachments
Ext Cord.jpg
Ext Cord.jpg (42.66 KiB) Viewed 1300 times
Everlast PowerMTS 200 multi-process 200A Mig/lift Tig, 175A stick, Dual voltage DC only
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Looks right to me.
Makes no difference if the hots are switched.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
yamahablue
    Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:08 pm

That's the same setup I'm planning on making. Where did you get the ends? I've been to lowes and home depot but neither sell that 3 prong 30a end. They do have the 50a, its not really an end but a flush mount outlet.
drross

Good to know polarity doesn't matter. Thanks.

I bought the 10/3 wire, plug and receptacle at Ace Hardware.
Everlast PowerMTS 200 multi-process 200A Mig/lift Tig, 175A stick, Dual voltage DC only

Just as long as the ground stays the ground, your good to go.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
drross

AKWeldshop I love your Quote. So True.

drross wrote:AKWeldshop I love your Quote. So True.

Thank you, I'm proud to have it.

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
yamahablue

drross wrote:Good to know polarity doesn't matter. Thanks.

I bought the 10/3 wire, plug and receptacle at Ace Hardware.
Thanks, I haven't looked at ace yet. I was able to find the 10/3 wire everywhere, cheapest was $1.89 ft.
yamahablue

I started a thread asking about using a setup like the one you made on a 30a dryer circuit. I have to ask, on the 30a 3 prong circuit you will be plugging into is it 2 hots and a ground or 2 hots and a neutral? Lol, I laugh because I'm getting some insisting that its wrong to use a setup like you made if your 30a receptacle is 2 hots and a "neutral" while others saying its fine.

I've done plenty of searching on this and going years back it's always the same, 2 different opinions on it. But I continue to see people making these adapter cords and even see them for sale online.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

If you're wire to code, ground and neutral are the same, tied together at your breaker box.

Quite right as stated above. The center terminal is ground/neutral, and the outer posts are L1 and L2, and the orientation doesn't matter.

The advice you're getting from our Aussie members comes from a very strict code, that does not allow an unlicensed person to do what you're doing.

Electricity is dangerous, but not so dangerous as the trade guilds in Australia would have the citizenry believe. I think much of this comes from the jacked-up bullshit many back-country Aussies have managed to kill themselves with before there was a uniform code.

Steve S
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hold my beer and watch this..... Zapppppp!!!!
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

I resemble that.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:... I think much of this comes from the jacked-up bullshit many back-country Aussies have managed to kill themselves with before there was a uniform code.

Steve S
Surprising to hear a comment like that coming from you Steve.

My comments have got nothing to do with code, regulations, going to jail or breaking the law.

My comments are all only based on the dangerous practice of using the Neutral conductor for a ground because of the inherent safety issues if a wiring fault develops. No more, no less.

According to Wikipedia: The United States National Electrical Code states that the feed from the distribution transformer uses a combined neutral and grounding conductor, but within the structure separate neutral and protective earth conductors are used (TN-C-S). The neutral must be connected to earth only on the supply side of the customer's disconnecting switch.

However, feel free to hook up everything however you all wish. Regulations aren't ever made for safety reasons, are they?

Unless you have a lot of proof, the comment 'jacked-up bullshit back-country Aussies' was somewhat unnecessary. And quite disappointing, actually. Especially from you.

You Ought To Know Better. Oh wait, was that an echo?

No more to add.
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

This circuit does not need a ground because its mounted on a "breadboard" :D
W1.jpg
W1.jpg (19.92 KiB) Viewed 655 times
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Under our NEC (National electrical code), remote devices to be hooked up temporarily, as a welding machine dragged to the end of the driveway, the inherent earth ground attached to the neutral line is considered adequate.

If a device is to be permanently installed in a location, as a fixed welder at a bench, then it is to be separately earthed.

That's the code. That's the rules.

I'm not guessing at this, I hold certifications for high-voltage work to 500V.

I can't speak for the intelligence of the rules, only the words.

Steve S