General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:15 pm

So I am looking for a little guidance pertaining to a Kemppi PS2800 welder I bought for what I think was a pretty good price of $300 a few daays ago. It was a quick decision I had to make weather to buy it and really could not do much research on the brand and model of unit and overall parts and service availability and if other things such as wire feeder and tig torch compatibility. All that I knew was the machine worked as the seller was able to demonstrate it set up for stick welding and that I would possibly need 3 phase power as he was unsure if it was able to be used on a single phase supply but did know you could change the connections on a bus bar in the machine to allow for different input voltages.

So after much use of Google and a email to Kemmpi in Finland I was able to get a user manual and determine I will need a 3 phase supply for power. They also sent me a manual for the add on units they sold to use with this unit when they sold it. They informed that parts were no longer available from them either. Which is understandable. That being said I find the manuals to be quite vague however that could just be my inexperience and lack of knowledge and most likely is the case. The Kemppi web site does not show USA as one of the markets the company is active in and as a result obviously lists no distributors or dealers and or service locations here in the States.

So my questions are what other if any wire feeders and or tig unit would be compatible and if there are what is the determining factors to take in to account when buying a add on unit in terms of compatibility. Like are the 10 pin connectors a industry standard this is what the unit has. I would also like to know about the best way to achieve 3 phase power from single phase that is safe for a welder to use does it need to be a cnc grade rotary phase converter or will a lesser quality phase converter work with out damaging the welder. Sorry for such a long winded post
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&sour ... HoBlXHlIPw try this. Hard to read.. I found one for sale here in Australia with a Tu 20 and fu10 mig and tig controllers. Is that helps. What's your name, by the way?

Thanks. My name is Josh
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

No problem Josh. Hope it helps.
taz
    Mon May 26, 2014 12:43 pm

If I remember correctly PS 2800 is a power source designed to work with various add-on modules (TU 20 , FU 10 ).
They are very good units but I don't know how easy it will be to locate these add-on's in the US. Try ebay, some pop up from time to time.
VooDoo
    Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:54 am

PS series are "multifunction" powersources. FU-10,FU20. FU-30 feeder and you have mig/mag machine, TU10,TU20 and you have DC tig, And wu10 is the watercooler.

And parts / service contact HR-service in finland. http://www.hrservice.fi/contact.php
They might have "addons" for that machine, dont know about shipping outside finland.

VooDoo thank you very much for the link you provided me. It has proven to be quite useful.