General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
grecker96
    Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:27 pm

I just started tig welding at work, and I have no problem running simple fillet welds, but I am having trouble doing open root joints, I am getting porosity almost every time on the root pass, I get plenty of penetration on the back from what I can see and the weld isn't "sugaring" on the back, I can't seem to figure it out, help would be greatly appreciated.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

On a butt weld, you need more gas coverage, so a slightly higher flow, bigger cup and also less tungsten stick out. That's can cause air to be sucked in.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Agreed. Porosity is mostly a gas shielding problem. Crank up the argon! Also using a gas lense instead of an ordinary cup helps too.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
grecker96
    Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:27 pm

Thank you, I ran at 45 cfh instead of 32 and it worked a lot better, I didn't have a gas lense but I did set up purge, you guys helped out a lot.
angus
  • angus

45 cfh? that's a hurricane. lol. put on a number 4 cup and you could launch your torch. seriously though,

is it just me or does anyone else think that's a little too much gas.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

It does sound alot if it was real. His regulator might be reading out (mine does big time).
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'