General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
rkirk77
    Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:21 am

Hi Guys,

I am trying to get into TIG welding and made the decision to buy an auto-darkening helmet. I went out to Princess Auto (Canadian equivalent to Harbour Freight in the US) and purchased this helmet.

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/s ... -p8540668e

The helmet worked great with stick welding, but when I tried it using for TIG I couldn't help but notice that the little dot was following me around for about an hour after (yup.. got the flash).

I have since read a bunch about auto-darkening helmets but wanted to get more opinions on what helmet would work for around the $100-$150 range (..or if there is one).
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

I have had a few helmets and still use a $400 Miller Digital Elite but recently purchased a Save Phace EXP Gen Y for a little more room and I am very impressed, around $170.

Here's a link to my review...

http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... f=2&t=6489

Worth every penny.... http://Www.savephace.com
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

@rkirk77 If the helmet has adjustable darkness shades, try turning it up to a higher number (darker) and see if that helps.
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

rkirk77,
If this thing sat around and the battery is weak then you would have to set it in the sun for awhile until it charges a bit.

I second the Save Phace, good helmet for the price, I have the Gen Y, like Rick's but with different graphics.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

rkirk77,
Welcome to the forum! I have used the Harbor Freight helmets but only for SMAW. I have heard and read on the forums that sometimes they can flutter at lower amperage. I talked to Sam and he said he has not had this problem. What amperage are you welding at? I have also heard that some companies have banned them because of liability issues involving your eyes. Something about its reaction time when the arc is struck is not as fast as name brand helmets thus exposing you for a very split second. I guess it would be ok to start out but if you believe it is to blame for flash burn I would upgrade immediately.
My opinion.
-Jonathan

@Jonathan,
I looked at the specs for each helmet, Miller Digital Elite: 1/20,000 Second, Harbor Freight (Sam's model); 1/25,000, and the Princess Auto; 1/30,000. I don't know if that's enough difference to cause welder's flash or not but I doubt it.

As a side note, I welded half of the candle holder with a Harbor Freight at work and the other half with my Save Phace later that evening at home, about six hours total with no sign of flash.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

Len,
I guess I can't believe everything I hear. :lol:
-Jonathan

Am I looking at those times wrong or does it show that both of the bottom end helmets actually have faster time than the Miller?

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

I used to put my own sound systems in every vehicle I owned, and often noticed low end el cheapo amps boasting specs well beyond more expensive name brand stuff. Just sayin', grain of salt and all that...
-Eldon
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid

Braehill wrote:Am I looking at those times wrong or does it show that both of the bottom end helmets actually have faster time than the Miller?

Len
It would appear so. When you posted that I thought it didn't seem right. Doing a little digging now.
-Jonathan
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

The rampant use of fake certification stickers abound on the Chinese made stuff. You can never tell if it legit.
If you got arc flash it would feel like you had rubbed sand into your eyes. But the failure of the hood to darken is just like looking at a bright light. Or staring at a flashlight etc. Not actual arc flash.
This is a really nice hood for your budget. Jackson Safety WH40 SmarTIGer Auto-Dark ... Lub1FVXGRY I have the larger window version.
jwright650
    Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:27 pm

Just seeing spots after welding is not flash burn....that is an over exposure to the yellow frequency light waves, like when Oxy/fuel cutting without a dark enough shade lens. Some of my guys would see spots when O/F cutting and using a #3 shade, moved up to the #5 and the spots went away. Their eyes were more sensitive to those wave lengths than other people. I would darken the lens if welding at higher amperages. I've used those HF shields before with Fluxcore at 450 amps without any issues.
John Wright
AWS Certified Welding Inspector
NDT Level II UT, VT, MT and PT
NACE CIP Level I Coating Inspector
jwright650

soutthpaw wrote:If you got arc flash it would feel like you had rubbed sand into your eyes. But the failure of the hood to darken is just like looking at a bright light. Or staring at a flashlight etc. Not actual arc flash.
I agree....

the more expensive shields have more than one or two sensors that help in low light/low amp situations or where you may be working where the sensors can get covered up and the shield not flash over.
Also keep the delay set long enough so that the shield doesn't turn back to a light shade before the puddle cools down past that bright red color. That bright puddle can make you see spots too.
John Wright
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Y'know, my old-school #10 glass lens has NEVER flashed me unexpectedly...

Technology has value, but it comes with trade-offs.

Steve S
GreinTime

I bet we see a post about a Pipeliner in a little while from someone!

Seriously though, I just ordered one of the SavePhace 40VizI4 helmets. We'll see what happens. I have quite a few welds to do in the next few weeks in a plethora of positions. So it should get put through its paces pretty well.
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

GreinTime wrote:I bet we see a post about a Pipeliner in a little while from someone!

Seriously though, I just ordered one of the SavePhace 40VizI4 helmets. We'll see what happens. I have quite a few welds to do in the next few weeks in a plethora of positions. So it should get put through its paces pretty well.
Ahh, sweet alliteration...

"a plethora of positions...."

Steve S
682bear
    Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:59 pm

I purchased one of those Harbor Freight auto darkening helmets to use with my Tig welder, but when I read the instruction booklet that came with it, it said it was not suitable for Tig... I returned it for a refund and bought a Linde instead...

-Bear

GreinTime wrote:I bet we see a post about a Pipeliner in a little while from someone!

Wonder who that would be? ;) Can't wait to see a review on that helmet.
-Jonathan
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Ak weldshop will handle that one.
jwright650

Otto Nobedder wrote:Y'know, my old-school #10 glass lens has NEVER flashed me unexpectedly...

Technology has value, but it comes with trade-offs.

Steve S
My old standby....that is the shield I keep handy...no dead batteries, no electronics to get messed up.

Auto darkening shields are nice though for tacking and welding long, intermittent fillet welds.
John Wright
Colt
    Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:26 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:

Ahh, sweet alliteration...

"a plethora of positions...."

Steve S
"Plethora" Isn't she a "Trailer Queen"? ;)
GreinTime

That would be "Plethora Lynn"
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-