General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Fri May 16, 2014 8:34 pm

I can find little discussion aside from Amazon reviews (9) and some extremely basic "setup" videos by AHP and "some other guys" on the Youtoob.

I'm quite spoiled to Jody's "thorough" wringing out of a machine to see its stability at top/bottom and various applications. What is out there on these machines isn't much. Looking to see the performance parameters of the machine explored, not a "how to" weld with this machine sort of stuff. Or to find discussion, video is not necessary where experienced welders can type up a few comments. I'm easy.

I have of course seen Jody's AHP MIG machine in action, and have no complaints there.

Wondering if any folks here have spent some time behind the torch of the AHP TIG/Stick machines. I have a job now and will be buying something very soon. It's not a high-paying job, so I'll be pinching the dollars, but don't want to waste money on a machine that i can't use on very thin metal: 4130, Al, possibly Ti.

Thanks a bunch. Rants or Raves or Mehs all welcomed.
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

Jody's Everlast 250EX vid sold me.
Bought one 3 months a go, now the 250 syncrowave sets idle
A skeptic on inverter tech has changed his mind(me)
Alum,SS, Low carbon, .040 to 1/2" it has worked for me
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)

Yes, I'm quite impressed with the Everlast machines. I was just looking at something similar that comes with the pedal for somewhat less money.

Also i just now found a bigger pool of AHP reviews (at amazon).

I do appreciate your input on the Everlast 250. Everlast (yes thanks to Jody) is my first choice but it's going to be hard to sit here TIGless while i save up the extra scratch to cover the cost difference.

Here's what my "crystal ball" reveals might happen: I buy the AHP, then later an Everlast, then later a USED miller or red one. Then i wind up selling the Blue/Red machine because I don't see the need. Keeping both the Green and Yellow so that I have a backup in case of downtime.

I'm nearly old enough to get over my tool "snobberies" and use what produces the best work. ;)

250EX has pedal and water cooled torch, buy direct negotiate for good air cool torch,then no cooler to buy,in place of cooler can use city water constant flow, blue print pedal I did works better than a stock Miller, but then I blue print tune all my pedals for __me
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Kevin Caron has been using an AHP 200 in some of his video's - he's given his thoughts on it - don't remember him saying anything bad about it maybe worth watching - my only caution would be is there any back up / warranty with this brand - Everlast seem committed to giving solid support - several other makes have tried to gain ground using popular uploaders such as Wyatt / Lanse - but he cut ties with one that promised big but did'nt live up to it.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

There's several guys on WW who bought and reviewed them.

For the money they can't be beat, but remember, cheap accessories like crazy!!!
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

AKweldshop wrote:There's several guys on WW who bought and reviewed them.

For the money they can't be beat, but remember, cheap accessories like crazy!!!
I couldn't get any hits for "AHP" at WW. I searched multiple ways and got no hits. hmph.

Now i get results, but i used a site specific search from outside the forum. thanks for the H/U.

Yeah, I'm going to call when i get the cash corralled up. Appears to be a bit of variation on what actually gets shipped and what deals can be made.

Great on the blueprinting idea. I often do that with everything. Production stuff just usually needs tweaking! Guns, Guitars, and Diesel Trucks included. You get a finished "kit". Take it apart and make it "right" if you want optimization for your own application/purposes and maximum longevity. Most folks don't go this deep. Some of us do.

I may sell the boat i haven't used in some time to speed up the process. Can always buy another 1964 Alumicraft right?
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

rick
how do you blue print a pedal?
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil

Haven't found a pedal I couldn't improve to suit me better.

by making sure the wheels/belt rolling the potentiometer all line up and adjusting on/off switch to click ay very slight pedal movement, hooking up ohm meter to set the max ohms/lowest amp setting to start a little after the machine start, for me I want amps to tail off to machines minimum capabilities before it shuts off.
sometimes I upgrade potentiometer if range sweep is not smooth and linear

move pedal pivot or mount heel clip to put pivot point of pedal under middle of the arch of my foot, then adjust spring pressure to suit(I like mine soft/easy).

last if the pedal assembly feels tippy/unstable/slip sliding on floor add a bigger heavier base and or non-slip feet.

Range sweep can only be checked accurately with analog ohm meter
if arc start/control is erratic check pedal and wiring,then machine grounds both to work piece and machine earth
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
motox

rick
looks like the makings of a side business.
i get the mechanical parts to check but
a little lost on the electrical end but maybe
its just beyond me
thanks for the repost ill give it a shoot and
see if i can figure it out as i go.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil

motox wrote:rick
looks like the makings of a side business.
i get the mechanical parts to check but
a little lost on the electrical end but maybe
its just beyond me
thanks for the repost ill give it a shoot and
see if i can figure it out as i go.
craig

google checking pot with ohm meter lots of utube
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
motox

again thanks for your time
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil

rick9345 wrote:Haven't found a pedal I couldn't improve to suit me better.

by making sure the wheels/belt rolling the potentiometer all line up and adjusting on/off switch to click ay very slight pedal movement, hooking up ohm meter to set the max ohms/lowest amp setting to start a little after the machine start, for me I want amps to tail off to machines minimum capabilities before it shuts off.
sometimes I upgrade potentiometer if range sweep is not smooth and linear

move pedal pivot or mount heel clip to put pivot point of pedal under middle of the arch of my foot, then adjust spring pressure to suit(I like mine soft/easy).

last if the pedal assembly feels tippy/unstable/slip sliding on floor add a bigger heavier base and or non-slip feet.

Range sweep can only be checked accurately with analog ohm meter
if arc start/control is erratic check pedal and wiring,then machine grounds both to work piece and machine earth
Heckyeah! that's what i mean by the MFG's sending out "complete kits" (whether it's Daimler/Chrysler, Sturm Ruger, or Miller). Most folks will be content with "as is" but others of us generally find ways to improve on the compromises and tradeoffs inherent in all mass production products. Seems natural to me. ;)

rick9345 wrote:
google checking pot with ohm meter lots of utube
how about skipping straight to the utube search engine? :lol:
Dragster Guy
    Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:19 am

I have one and i like it alot it welds very nice. I have tried it on 4130 , aluminum , stainless , carbon steel. It stick welds very nice. It was worth the money.
Performance Metal Works
Pasadena MD

Dragster Guy wrote:I have one and i like it alot it welds very nice. I have tried it on 4130 , aluminum , stainless , carbon steel. It stick welds very nice. It was worth the money.
Tell us a little more, like how long have you had it and/or hours use?

Yeah I'm about disgusted that I spent the time to fix the Century crackerbox of mine. But then when what you have is time not money and you can use the welder to fix the welder (along with the other implements of metalfab) and the scrap pile...

A "very nice" stick welder would please me at this point, but it's time to go Whole HOG and start playing with the tungsten.

Yay Rah, work tomorrow-more money for buying better tools!

and a Tig Finger! :mrgreen:
Dragster Guy
    Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:19 am

I have had the AHP for 4 months now and have done 6 jobs with it. I started a new business and so far so good. I also got the AHP 140 mig and have used it as well. I got the 2 machines together. So far so good. :D
Performance Metal Works
Pasadena MD

Dragster Guy wrote:I have had the AHP for 4 months now and have done 6 jobs with it. I started a new business and so far so good. I also got the AHP 140 mig and have used it as well. I got the 2 machines together. So far so good. :D
Congrats on your new bidness. I have a deep appreciation for the troubles they can be. Enjoying "just working" now.

SO I was noticing how many spurious "reviews" there are on Amazon. Both AHP and Everlast have their share of them. Just look at "see my other reviews" and notice how many "reviewers" have never reviewed anything else (or only 1 or 2 related (same-branded) items).

Then re-read their "reviews" and notice how they rarely qualify their welding experience (or that they fit exactly into the target audience), they always have glowing report on some interaction with customer support (details may be minimal), and of course the love the machine and recommend to all. Pure ad copy.

I've seen entire fake review sites, but hadn't really sunk my teeth into fake reviewing on Amazon until last night. When the review numbers are into the 100's or 1000's it doesn't really matter but at 10 or 20, the fake-O's are significant.

Shame on guerrilla marketing.

Caveat Emptor "let the buyer beware"
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Wade Patton wrote: Shame on guerrilla marketing.

Caveat Emptor "let the buyer beware"
True, but I wish more emphasis would be placed with Caveat Venditor - let the seller beware.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

For online reviews, I prefer, "Caveat Lector," Let the reader beware.

Steve S
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:For online reviews, I prefer, "Caveat Lector," Let the reader beware.

Steve S
Good one :D
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

If this keeps up, we may give a new meaning to "Latin" American... :lol:

Gratias vobis ago,

Steve S
    Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:27 pm

FWIW, AHP is a part of Everlast. You reed good and bad about any of the Chinese machines, but if you are around long enough there are issues with all of the manufacturers.

which part?
how are they related to each other?
if each orders from same factory with different specs does not make them related.
Just curious.
inertesting statement to explore.
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe

Cope wrote:FWIW, AHP is a part of Everlast. You reed good and bad about any of the Chinese machines, but if you are around long enough there are issues with all of the manufacturers.
Dodge is a part of Mercedes Benz too (DaimlerChrysler yo). But that's capitalism-corporation deal, not a communism-collective deal.

Yes, digging deeply, we read good and bad about any of all the welders ever manufactured anywhere.

But this thread is not about painting big broad brush strokes of various colors.

What this thread is about: Actual Live Real Weldors who are putting some hours on the AHP machines (yellow/amarillo/flavus).

I need a power source to use with my TIG Finger!