General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Puckerbush
    Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:10 am

My first post.
I have a Miller Dynasty 200DX that I purchased from a private party about a year ago. The machine works great and I am happy with it, but I watch your weld puddle control and how it looks like a glob of butter moving across the weld seam and wonder why I can't seem to do that. I recently read a post on the Miller website and someone mentioned the Soft Squarewave setting will produce a more buttery puddle and better puddle control. I called Miller and spoke to a customer service guy and gave him the registration number of my machine and he told me my particular year model does not have this feature.
So my question to you is this: Do you use this technology in your videos for TIG welding?
Thanks,
Puckerbush.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome to the group, Puckerbush,

Jody does these videos with a broad range of equipment, including, on occassion, homemade.
I assume you're talking aluminum, or the waveform would be a moot point. Square-wave technology is nice, but does not, by itself, make buttery welds. I have good success with transformer machines (sine-wave) like the Lincoln PrecisionTig 375 and Miller Synchrowave 250DX. The features are not needed, they're luxuries that are nice to have.

Jody may well comment on this. If needed, I'll prompt him. Jody does participate more here than in the past, but he said he wanted the forum to take it's own direction, and not become, "Jody says..."

It would help if you post up more information, an example of what material, thickness, tungsten, machine settings, etc. As much detail as you can. A picture of a finished weld is worth an essay, as well.

Steve S
aeroplain
    Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:15 pm

As a total guess, I'd say you're welding to cold. I say this because when I first started teaching myself it's what I did ALOT.
I was scared to blow a hole, or create something worse than when I started. Once I cranked up the amps a bit things started to go smoother.