General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

Ok I know I am about to open a nasty can of worms here but please don't let your favorite color show through. I am wanting an engine drive welder for farm use. I want one to use as a generator, welder and just something that if a neighbor needs something on his tractor welded out in a field I can get there and weld it. I don't plan on pipeline welding or structural welding but I do want the most options I can get. Here are the three I want to choose from. Hobart Champion Elite, Miller Bobcat 225, and LIncoln Ranger 225. All three are 225 amp machines and within a couple hundred $ of each other. I have an idea but since I have not ran the Hobart or MIller I don't wanna jump the gun on a purchase. Please give me some reviews from those who have ran the machines.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt

Also, would I be able to plug my Everlast machine into the 230 outlet on the machine and run it perfectly fine? Never have used the generator on one of these I am assuming that if you can weld with these machines then you can run a welder with the machine.
Matt
Arizona SA200
    Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm

The Hobart machine if i remember correctly doesn't run constant voltage for running a wire feeder. Other than that it is pretty much the same machine as the Bobcat. They run a crisp arc where as the Lincoln is a bit more on the buttery side witch i prefer. If you step up to a 250 or a 300 you can get a machine with some more arc control adjustments.
I stack dimes for a living so i can stack dollars for a paycheck.

The reason I kept it at the 225 is because the Hobart is only 225 amps so I put them all on a level field. I have ran the Ranger before at work but have nothing to compare it to to see if I like it or not. I am leaning more toward Miller but the reason I even considered Hobart is because I like Hobart, I like the people from Hobart they are nice guys, and I can go to my local Tractor Supply and pick one up on scratch and dent discount right now. That is why I chose those models.
Matt
Arizona SA200
    Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm

All of them should run your everlast. My grandfather swore by hobart but that was way before miller bought them. I like my Lincoln engine drives. They all should work for your needs but i would try to run all of them before you buy and make your decision based off of that.
I stack dimes for a living so i can stack dollars for a paycheck.

I appreciate your replies. I don't know anyone who has the Hobart or MIller welder. I ran the Lincoln and like I said I liked it and would take one if I had the option but as far as my favorite, I don't know.
Matt
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

I have the Lincoln Ranger 8.... Great machine, though I've only sticked on it....
Want any tips on it???

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

I will take any advice. Only a fool turns down free information. I ran a couple different Rangers at a couple different companies and had no trouble at all. I really liked running them but again I have nothing to compare it to.
Matt
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Well,
I've had it 10years know.... :shock:
Barely ran the sucker... One thing I hate is the exposed engine, millers do a good job on there bobcats... :)
But, on stick its a smooth arc, run 7018 very well, but that's ALL I've ever ran on it, handful of generator stuff...
Personally, If I was in the market for a machine I would get the Wildcat 200.... 200amps, all I need... cute.
More tips as I think of them...
~John

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/eng ... del=M90575
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

The last time I ran a Ranger I was 30 feet in the air hanging off of an oil service rig derrick and it was on a forklift so I was trying to keep from falling to concentrate on how it was welding. If I remember correctly I was running 7018 rods that day. I thought it ran well but like I said I was concentrated on not slipping and falling to really pay attention.
Matt
Zach_T
    Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:48 am

I've ran a bobcat and the ranger and by far I liked the ranger just the arc and the way it welded I was far more impressed with the ranger
If ya ain't burnin ya ain't earnin
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Shindaiwa make a hell of a good welder, if they are availible in the US.
    Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:25 pm

I'm interested in the Hobart champion model engine driven welder also. I do more SMAW and GTAW than anything else. I don't need it, so it's hard to justify a Miller Bobcat or similar. Have the Hobart users been satisfied with the champion welder? Thx for any feedback you can offer. :D
--Tater