General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Follow da blue light
    Sat May 11, 2013 3:44 am

The importance of properly made jigs for mass reproduction work.

I landed a job just recently as a production supervisor in a welding shop, we make stillages, ladders and basically what ever is required.

The first week was to get orientated with the place,I could see that some improvements could be made in the jigging.
I started redesigning the jigging, I laughed when they told me one component was being made on three jigs, I redesigned and made the whole system work from one jig.

I was told by some of the old timers "thats the way we have done it for 30 years" :o ........ wtf?

One guy didnt even turn up for 3 days because I had altered a jig to improve it...... :lol:

The old jigs of course are sloppy and worn out, they should have been replaced 20 years ago...
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

you can't over state the importance of having accurate jigging in a production shop. when i have a job making the same thing many times weather it involves welding or just simple drilling i'll build a jig. most anyone can stand in front of a welding bench or machine tool and churn out parts but it takes imagination and skill to come up with a good jig. to me that's the fun part of the job. btw, don't be too hard on those old-timers who get upset if you change anything in the shop. one day that may be you.