General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Trackwelder
    Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:37 pm

I am building an airplane, and in the Hangar I don't have access to electricity so the majority of my welding has been Oxy/Acetelyne the first time I ran into this situation I had a Henrob troch and used a mild steel filler rod and it welded just fine, carry the plane around by the part and it won't separate, I got a crack in the Henrob and have been using a Victor torch to weld the rest of the plane with no problems. The problem is I now have to weld stainless steel to 4130 again and I can't find a filler to join the two. Mild steel rod won't work, silver solder lets loose instantly and silicon Bronze doesn't attempt to hold either. I am far from new at welding but this is the first time I have run into this problem what would be the best filler metal for joining these two metals, they are .035 inch thick.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

You didn't say what stainless alloy, but:

309/309L/309LSi are the rods of choice for Oxy/fuel or TIG for this union.

You said you're building an aircraft... Tell me this is an instrument panel mounting tab, or something less significant...

There are several of us with aircraft-specific knowledge, and a few, including Jody, who are members of the EAA.

Steve S