General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
bestfab
    Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:40 pm

Hello,
I was recently asked by a customer of mine if i could braze the steel heads back on carbide boring bars, and was wondering if any one out there has done this before and could give me some help. the heads have a female cone ground into them and the carbide bar has the opposite.
thanks.
ogorir
    Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:04 pm

I can't help you, but I would be DAMN interested in the answer and some techniques. being able to knock together a simple boring bar would be a lifesaver sometimes...
kevn
    Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:21 pm

I have a friend that used to braze carbide onto rock drill bits I can ask him what was involved. Im pretty sure it was nothing fancy though
yorkiepap
    Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:56 pm

Hey guys,
Generally, cutters or tips are silver-soldered on turning tools/boring bars. Any good 60/40 or 55/45 sil-sol with flux will work nicely.

Denny
* "Age is a state of mind.... at my age you cannot fathom what is in my mind." *
* "I have no hesitation to kill nor reservation to die for the flag & Constitution of the United States." *
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

i work right next to a machinist and when ever he wants me to put carbide inserts onto any of his tools like boring bars i use silver solder and an oxy/acet. torch. i first wire wheel the parts then use white flux paste. the most important thing is to clamp the parts securely.
ogorir
    Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:04 pm

thanks, guys. I'll give the silver solder a shot next time I need a custom bar.