General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Acrobat
    Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:11 pm

Hi,
Am intrigued as to how this artist has created his face artworks:
https://shaungagg.co.uk/#/money-in-mind/

I hope he won't mind me linking to his page. Fabulous artwork. Seems to be copper (probably steel) pennies welded together. The welds look very fine, no splatter, no mess.

I'm a complete novice. How is this fine level of welding achieved? Is it standard MIG or alternative??
varekai
    Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:03 pm

I'm still new to this too, but more than likely done with tig, tig produces no spatter and can be very precise in the right hands... but not in mine. LOL
    Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:43 pm

That is a beautiful piece of art.

Not sure if GTAW was used or not.
Learning is the best part of life and the most painful
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

TIG, without a doubt.

I've never seen copper MIG wire before and that looks like copper welds to me, or whatever the coin is made of.
if there's a welder, there's a way
Acrobat
    Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:11 pm

Suspect that the coins are actually copper plated steel, so it's unlikely that copper is involved.

Attached is an image of some similar artwork. Aged rust can be seen on some of the welds ...
Attachments
Coin Sculpture.jpg
Coin Sculpture.jpg (160.59 KiB) Viewed 999 times
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

Good point, could be that as well, still looks like TIG welding though, or perhaps solid wire MIG with shielding gas.
if there's a welder, there's a way
    Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:43 pm

Line the coast with them like Easter Island. Would look awesome sailing into port with thousands of those metal faces looking at you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Learning is the best part of life and the most painful
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

A few years ago I could do that fine welding, BUT, since I had my butt run over by a truck I have a few issues. HOWEVER, I am trying to overcome them. I have a few pennies that I can practice on IF I can get my grip back and stop this damn shaking. :evil: