General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:43 pm

Have noticed that the picture compression being used by the forum is highly aggressive. Could the compression be lessened so the quality of pictures is higher?
Learning is the best part of life and the most painful
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

i hadn't really noticed as i reduce mine down to start with.
but i suspect its to keep storage free, data amounts down and page speed up. especially those still stuck on dial up.
tweak it until it breaks

Yes, but they are compressing the daylights out of them.

For example they are compressed down to 25 KB

That is wether you send in high or low resolution. The picture quality suffers dramatically.

Why not try compressing them to your old standard of 250 KB

That’s at least worth a try?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recent morning launch
IMG_20190808_064504_386.jpg
IMG_20190808_064504_386.jpg (27.58 KiB) Viewed 1197 times
Richard
Website

I don't see a "dramatic" reduction in quality, typically I'll edit a pic before uploading, so I'm not starting with a hires image, the other variable could be uploading cell phone pics, which when view on a larger screen fall apart rather quickly
Richard
Website

I’m uploading from an IPhone 8 Plus for some photos and a Canon 70D for others.

The reason I know they are compressing the shit out of these photos is not just by visual cues.

You can send in a 20 mb picture file and the site compressed it to 25 kb.

I know that they are compressing the pictures I did not guess. Also the compression is automatic and it does not matter what size file you send in. It will be compressed!

Hope you South Eastern members are safe from Dorian

Enjoy a sunset taken a short distance from my home in Cataumet, MA

The only launch site near me is OTIS(Air Station Cape Cod). If I witness a launch I will not be taking pictures as much as trying to move away from OTIS. :shock: :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Attachments
Sunset Cataumet.jpg
Sunset Cataumet.jpg (29.09 KiB) Viewed 1185 times
VA-Sawyer
    Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:56 am

Dang, Richard. That must have been a BIG bottle rocket!
No sense dying with unused welding rod, so light 'em up!
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

I haven't got a problem with the quality of the pictures. I can post any pictures I want off my phone. Once upon a time, you couldn't post phone pictures because even the smallest resolution was too big. That's why I started the welders around the world Facebook page. (formally known as the welding tips and tricks forum page)

But now, for some unknown reasons, my photos all end up on their sides

VA-Sawyer wrote:Dang, Richard. That must have been a BIG bottle rocket!
It was an amazing sight, an Atlas V launching an Air Force communications satellite
Richard
Website

weldin mike 27 wrote:I haven't got a problem with the quality of the pictures. I can post any pictures I want off my phone. Once upon a time, you couldn't post phone pictures because even the smallest resolution was too big. That's why I started the welders around the world Facebook page. (formally known as the welding tips and tricks forum page)

But now, for some unknown reasons, my photos all end up on their sides

Yes, for awhile I think you were sideways drinking a beer every time I opened my iPhone app. Probably will never miss you if you happen to be horizontal in the crowd. :lol:

Will check out the facebook page. Not a Facebook member myself because I think they are evil.

As far as picture quality. It's noticeable to me for one simple reason. Spent a few years studying photography and can probably see defects because of that experience. Can be total geek and not realize it.
Attachments
Picture I took of our cat. Max was a great friend. He lived with me for twenty human years before disappearing.
Picture I took of our cat. Max was a great friend. He lived with me for twenty human years before disappearing.
Max_.jpg (37.26 KiB) Viewed 1107 times

Sideways drinking is an Australian past time. You won't be able to find the Facebook page, it's been made secret. This was due to sheer numbers of people and spammers joining. People can ad their friends, but Facebook searches won't find it. Probably a good thing, because Facebook really is evil.

Figured something happened because I looked and could not find. There was World Wide Welders or something but none of the user names matched what I see here.

The world wide welders is a very good page but it's for high end pipe welders. Or it was last time I checked. I don't think you will find many people who use the same name on both a forum and Facebook. I can add you if you like, but you have to be a Facebook member. (evil, I know) if you sign up, pm me your email address and I'll see if I can add you to the secret group

Thanks Mike,

But I don't think I'm a face book person. The guys sister is cute but they are the devil.

If you can work your magic and get me a membership to the weld.com forum I would except. It appears that there system is broken and either they do not know or care. Have tried everything and can not get in.

Kevin Caron wrote me and said something about Facebook being the place and the forum was going away. But when I read the weld.com forum there is more activity than welding tips and tricks.

Not trying to Pot Stir again but it appears that there are more active posts on that forum. It might be a better fit for me?

I understand mate. As for the weld. Com, I've never been there. I just hang out here, we've actually been pretty busy lately.