General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
bigworm40
    Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:58 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen,
I'm looking for a unit that will accept at minimum a 2" through hole. So far I have found the two listed below. I have no experience with these at all. My budget is $4K. I'd like to use it with mig and tig. Any advice would be great.

https://www.trick-tools.com/Baileigh-WP ... huck-12557

https://www.trick-tools.com/Roto-Star-3 ... oto3-10843
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

You can certainly fabricate a positioner for lots less than that. Be absolutely certain that you truly require a “thru hole” and that the work setup requires that. Meaning, very often you clamp the work only in the chuck, and nothing protrudes through; all the material is outside the chuck.

3-jaw chucks are pretty cheap, I think Certiflat sells a frame kit for $300 and then you simply buy a motor and controller. You should be under $1,000. You could even get an inexpensive VFD to control a used motor to have infinite control of the speed.

Even if you have a long diameter to weld on, you can make something like a steady rest, as found on a lathe to support the shaft.
I've made 2 different rotators, not difficult, but if you have the production work buying may be the right choice for you
Richard
Website
bigworm40

I need a thru hole.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

So simply buy a 3-jaw with the orifice diameter you require and fab one up. Even if you bought the Certiflat Kit, you could easily drill the hole yourself to accommodate your requirements.
bigworm40

As much as I appreciate all the advice, I'm not looking to build one. I have no time. I need something with a motor that has over a 2" thru hole. If any one here has any experience please chime in.

The Baileigh is the better of the 2 that you posted a link to, IMO. It includes the foot pedal and an infinite adjustment between 90* and 180*, the other unit has stops at every 15* between 90* and 180*
Richard
Website