General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
CRAZED
    Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:52 pm

Hi, my name is Shane i'm about to turn 18 ive been taking welding classes in vocational school. And i'm soon to go to probably Canada for CanWeld a school in Sarnia, CA. I was thinking about pursuing a pipeline welding career, but i saw that requires travel. I know it sounds dumb but after an entire life of travel because of my dad being a wind turbine worker I genuinely hateeee it..... I'm looking for a career that pays good like pipeline welding but is stationary, someplace I can just go to everyday for pretty much my entire life. So i can provide my future wife and kids a steady life in a house they can live in a grow in. I dont mind maybe traveling for 2 years or so to get money saved but id eventually like to get a good stationary Union job. I have no problem living north. Id LOVEEEEE to live in Alberta, Canada or something. Im new to this and dont really know what careers there are out there available so please let me know. Id really like to be making 100k+/year in not too long
nickn372
    Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:35 am

Any pipeline job will require travel unless you do the shop donkey work and don't really wanna make 6 digits at it. I'd suggest look into pipeline construction crews in the area you want to live. That will be your bests shot at not having to do a lot of travel. It will still require some daily travel. Also look into the amount of natural gas drilling activity in the area as well. That will be a good indicator of how long you may have a job or how close to home you will be every day.
Be the monkey....
NorCalWelding

What about underwater welding. I have a friend who is a commercial diver. If you live near the ocean or bay, it should keep you in the area.
Lincoln Vantage 400
Trailblazer® 302 Air Pak™
Miller Dynasty® 350
Millermatic 350P Aluminum
Millermatic® 252
Syncrowave 351
Lincoln LN-25 Pro
Multimatic™ 200
XR-Aluma Pro Gun
Diversion™ 180
Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™