General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Wastey
    Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:34 pm

Can't fins this welding symbol. It is backing bar but not sure what the circle means. Anyone know?
Attachments
Screenshot_2019-01-13-17-18-30.png
Screenshot_2019-01-13-17-18-30.png (121.58 KiB) Viewed 965 times
LanceR
    Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:32 pm

The bevel on the root face?
LanceR

Miller Multimatic 255
Hypertherm Powermax45 XP
Heck Bevel Mill 4000
Ace fume extractor
Welding/cutting/brazing torches
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I believe it’s a 45 deg angle on the plate side with an open butt with a backing strap. I’ll see if I can find confirmation.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308

Only other possibility is that there is a reference sheet that goes along with the drawing you picture. The circle is on the tail end so it doesn’t mean weld all the way around. That would be at a different location on the symbol. There might be or should be a separate reference where the meaning will be specifically called out. IE a Circle might mean your allowed to reinforce the weld above flush, or a square on the same point of the symbol might mean grind it flat. Point is you need the reference sheet. Whoever created the drawing should be able to provide it, butt it’s likely in the first few pages of the blueprint package, or indicated on the bottom of the drawing page which appendix it’s in.

Josh
Wastey
    Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:34 pm

Thx for the responses . That was just the weld symbol they had on the drawing for bidding . I had just never seen the circle at the end before.
Poland308

If it’s for a bid I’d request the reference sheet. If you find out later that it’s something that requires a lot of cleanup or prep time then it could easily mean the diferance between profit and loss.

Josh
snoeproe
    Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:37 am

Poland308 wrote:I believe it’s a 45 deg angle on the plate side with an open butt with a backing strap. I’ll see if I can find confirmation.
I believe it’s a single bevel groove weld. Full pen with a backing bar. 45 degree angle on the bevel.
Jim_D
    Tue May 14, 2019 8:41 pm

It looks like a fubar ASCII text on a CAD generated weld symbol. The little 'O' is supposed to be the degree symbol to go with the number 45 .... to say 45°(it just happens to hit the bevel symbol to appear like it has some high-falutin' meaning).

It looks like the designer has some sort of weird, overhung bevel drawn rather than the bevel getting wider as it gets higher off the backing bar.

I'm wondering how you could ensure full pen per AWS or MIL-STD-22 on a backing bar weld. Full pen typically requires grind or gouge from the opposite side until clean metal for welding from behind the root, while the purpose for backing bar is because access is only available from the exterior.