General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

I've been using a mid top length Red Wing steel toe that looks more like a tennis shoe which I like, has anti slip soles and anti static. They recently discontinue d this model

But I'm not super happy with the wear, the soles were fine but the outer I tear up and I'm getting a year or less. I've also torn up the inside heel portion on both sets. I always untie them and never slip them off. Also use their high dollar mold to your feet insoles, I wear them 7 days a week 10-12hrs a day. Shoes and insoles run me about $175 with my discount.

So what other brands are you guys using, how comfortable are they? How are they holding up? Just scared to switch from something I do like as far as fit....
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

I've worn the 5.11 Tactical slip on composite toe boot for the last 2 years and I like them. If they made them wider, I would love them. I don't always spend 80 hours a week but I do spend a lot of time in my boots. This past week of over 90 hours at work the only thing that didn't hurt was my feet. I threw last years in the back of my car and I still wear them one day a week when I go to our sister plant and their still in decent shape, inside and out. Super lite too.

I got them from a company called LA Police Gear for about $130.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

I wear the Redwing 9" logger boot...safety toe and soft toe. I replaced a pair of soft toe last fall after 5 years. I wore the soles out. Uppers were in good shape. I have worn Redwings for the last 15 years and the only thing I don't like about them is they are made in China. We are required to have a defined heal in the refineries but I have talked to guys with flat sole and low heal Redwings that say they don't get good mileage. I guess its all about what you wear them for.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I've worn Justin, which were great for comfort, but no so much for durability.

Mostly, I've worn Wolverines. I'm currently required to wear Met-guards, and the Wolverine has a semi-soft Met-guard that is not uncomfortable while kneeling.

I wear slip-ons exclusively, after scarring the top of my right foot by being unable to get out of lace-ups fast enough when the tongue trapped dross from an O/A cut.

My current pair was $217 w/shipping direct from Wolverine. If you don't require met-guards, you can get the same boot about $50 less. EH rated and waterproof... Still waterproof after 14 months of service.

Steve S
682bear
    Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:59 pm

I'm currently wearing a pair of low top Sketchers composite toe shoes... they are very comfortable to me, and I have been wearing them for at least 3 years, possibly 4...

By now, they are looking a little rough, but still not so bad that I'm ashamed of them.

I work in a commercial airline engine overhaul facility and spend 10 hours per night, 4 nights a week on my feet... I have no complaints with the Sketchers...

-Bear
    Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:13 am

I think I've worn them all (except Red Wing).

1. Never buy Reebok safety shoes. EVER! Trust me.
2. Wolverines have been good to me in all forms, styles and uses.
3. Dr. Maarten's are 50/50. Good sole, bad sizing.

I have three different styles of Wolverines. Slip on Oxford, lace up mid (leather laces) and Wellingtons. All have been comfortable and durable. I am currently wearing the Wellingtons and paid the extra for the comfort soles ($175 at the register).

Not all feet are the same, so do some homework on what is required at your site and what extras you are willing to pay for. When you go to try on your next pair, walk around the whole store with both shoes on. If there is a sales person, ignore the pitch. If possible, shop for them in your work clothes/uniform in case there may be interference (unlikely, but it could happen).

Happy hunting.
Chris
NASA is not the enemy of the American taxpayer.
AWS D1.1, D17.1
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

For the last 14 years, I've been given a pair of Dakota Industrial Oxfords each year.
They have all of the safety ratings for my company's safety department.
I like them and I can get 4-5 years from one pair of shoes.
They are super comfortable and extra wide.
http://www.marks.com/shop/en/marks-mark ... sual--9242
swirusek
    Mon May 04, 2015 4:48 am

plain ol Bill
    Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:46 pm

Redwing slip on Pecos boots. Wore out more of these than I can count. Had a boss going to step on my toe one day to "test" and see if they were steel toed or not. Told him that was when the fight was going to start! Never had a pair of steel toed boots that were comfortable.
Tired old welder
CNC plasma cutter
Colorful shop w/
Red, blue, yellow, purple, and Hypertherm silver equip.
Rick_H

We've got a safety event coming up at work in he next week, lots of different shoes vendors will be here, I'm looking forward to trying some different brands....I'll report back.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

plain ol Bill wrote:... Never had a pair of steel toed boots that were comfortable.
I'm sad for you.

I wear my work boots every day, everywhere. Over a year of service, and still more comfortable than tennis shoes or even loafers. I only wear tennies to make a quick trip to the corner store, or walk the dogs.

Steve S
massacre
    Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:20 pm

Red wing here, had good luck with them. I have 1 winter and 1 summer pair.
I use the toe bumpers too, I used to think they were kinda dumb but they actually do a great job of protecting the toe for me, I am on my knees a lot on concrete and the toes take a beating.
My winter boots will go back to the factory for a re-sole
    Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:55 am

Well I use the Safety Jogger steel toe semi-boots, its strong, very light and flexible.
Also have the Sketchers safety shoes, comfortable but a bit heavy.
Rick_H

We had our safety day today, I spoke with Redwings about the displeasure I had with my shoes and didn't getbwarm and fuzzy's, I've spent over $400 in last 2 years so it bugged me a little. I went and looked at some other vendors that had Cat, Wolverine, Sketcher, Reebok and Florsheim plus others.

I ended up getting a pair of the Florsheims they had a 3/4, full leather, laces with eyelets not loops, full ESD, antislip and waterproof shoe, full non metallic, composite toe. They were instantly comfortable, had a gel padded insole, and a sole that has air pockets like a Nike Air. Instant reaction is they are nice....well see how they hold up.

The rep told me wipe then down with Mink oil that will help protect the shoes with all the metal and hot work I do.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
past08
    Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:24 am

I wear the Redwing 9" logger work shoes...safety toe and soft toe. I replaced a pair of soft toe last fall after 5 years.