General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

Hi folks,

I have a Miller Elite gen 1 hand me down welding hood that has worked really well for me for the last 3 months. I got my first flash from it a few hours ago, and was wondering if anyone has the UV protection specification for this helmet in the light stage. (7018 arc start, stopped right away). Essentially the hood just didn't go dark, possibly due to my arm blocking a sensor or something. Can you get arc burn from a single flash through the lens in the light stage? I've got a nice headache at the moment but my eyes feel fine as of now.

Thanks!
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

All helmet lenses are 100% UV blocking all the time, irrespective of the auto-dark working or not. It's part of the glass they use which is basically fully opaque to all UV under all conditions.

So you're fine as far as actual eye damage from UV goes (aka. prickly/'sandy' eyes from irritated/damaged cornea tissue)

Getting flashed still gives you a nice 'overload' on the retina though and that can still result in some afterimages and often a headache. Should go away though. No harm done.. Just don't try to do it too often :)

Bye, Arno.

Arno wrote:All helmet lenses are 100% UV blocking all the time, irrespective of the auto-dark working or not. It's part of the glass they use which is basically fully opaque to all UV under all conditions.

So you're fine as far as actual eye damage from UV goes (aka. prickly/'sandy' eyes from irritated/damaged cornea tissue)

Getting flashed still gives you a nice 'overload' on the retina though and that can still result in some afterimages and often a headache. Should go away though. No harm done.. Just don't try to do it too often :)

Bye, Arno.
Thanks for the info, that is what I was hoping to hear. I think I'll just have to look at the lights make sure its working before each strike just to be sure it doesn't happen again.

Cheers!
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Might also be time to replace the batteries in your helmet ;)

cj737 wrote:Might also be time to replace the batteries in your helmet ;)
I hope not! I just put new batteries in it a month ago. Those things are like 8 bucks a pop.
SteveM
    Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:14 am

Don't by the batteries at the LWS. They're under $3 at Walmart.

A little bit of an old post but I thought I'd update for those with Miller helmets. Here is the best place to get batteries that I could find.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... -ND/447508

Digikey is an awesome supplier for electrical components and they sell the Panasonic batteries miller recommends for about $1 a piece. Hope this helps someone.